The existing building was built in 1909 of cement, moulded to resemble various finishes of stone with corner pilasters with Ionic capitals and fluted shafts whose bases rest on paneled pedestals. Above the capitals of the pilasters is an egg and dart band surmounted by a narrow band of multi-coloured tile.The base of the pilasters was extended to become a course around the building and acts as a sill course for all windows. The front, large central window has a quoinlike surround and a leaded transom under an elliptical arch with radiating voussoirs. The high foundation resembling rusticated stone, has in the front, a central elliptical arched window. The existing building was renovated as follows to respect it’s heritage totally yet to allow its conversion to usable office space.


The original Gildersleeve House, 264 King Street, East was built in 1825 by Henry Gildersleeve, a Loyalist from Connecticut. Mr. Gildersleeve was a shipwright by trade and came to Canada after the War of 1812. His first job in Canada was on the Frontenac, the first steamship to navigate the Great Lakes. In 4/4/, he started his own shipping line.

In 1989 Ernest A. Cromarty was given the opportunity to carry out historical renovation to both the interior and exterior of the building. The interior was renovated to allow for professional office space.


The two storey addition to the west was carefully designed to reflect the scale, texture and material of the Architect’s House and the adjacent historic Gildersleeve House.


King & Johnson Streets, Kingston, Ontario

Frontenac Historic Foundation Award
(Original House Renovation & Architect's House Renovation)

New Building Added (1988)
Architect's House
Historical Renovation
Original House
Historical Renovation